Adsense

Total Pageviews

Friday 7 October 2016

Interview with topper of PIEAS Entry Test (2016)






Hasnain Tariq (PIEAS entry test 2016 topper) was recently interviewed by a member of FUNG team Umer Sadiq. Here are few pieces of advises and guidelines which he has for his juniors.


How are entry tests different from regular F.Sc studies?

Our regular F.sc studies comprise of typical rote learning while entry tests of top universities are aimed at examining how well a person has actually understood in what he has memorized. That’s why for a lot of board toppers, it becomes really difficult to ace entry tests. Entrance exams contain those questions that apply what we learn into solving not-before seen problems. They evaluate based on how much a person will do rather than how much he has done.


How to top entrance test?

There is no specific way to top an entrance test, but if I were to list some useful methods, I would say that “Do it like you really mean it”. Make your biggest aim to get into that university and stick to it. Don’t ponder in thoughts like “I have 3 other choices, even if I don’t get into this one, I have another opportunity”. This way of thinking is poisonous for entry test preparation.


How can one get through entrance tests without attending preparatory school/academy?

I myself have not attended any preparatory school. These classes are meant to make extra money off the students who are worried about their futures. For the students who don’t have concepts, these might be a bit useful but there is no way that a student can understand everything in one or two months which he couldn’t understand for two years.


Is interest more important in choosing the right field or other things?

In my personal opinion, interest is important but your interest should first of all be clear. For many students, they do not have a correct understanding of any field so they don’t even know what their interests are. I myself first thought of doing software engineering but I found out that I am not very fond of developing software and other stuff like that when I tried it out. I found out that I like making machines or as I like to say, “Making things work” when I made a loudspeaker for the All Pakistan Science Fair and won 2nd place.


Can you please signify the importance of morals over money in education system?

We all have been hearing “money makes the world go round”. Many of the students of the modern age have completely submitted to the lust of money. They only try to follow the path that could make them rich. I am not saying that one shouldn’t desire for money as I am not against that saying. It is true but students have to understand that wealth or fame come to those who are capable of doings things normal people cannot. I would advise them to make themselves capable. Wealth will be on their footsteps.

What are the reasons why students can't get through entrance tests?

The culprit is our educational system where it is expected of us to memorise what is given to us and reproduce it as it is. Whether we actually understood what we memorised is not our teacher’s concern whereas universities are concerned. Our society tends to think in a way that those students who get good marks are super intelligent. I openly refuse to think this way, he may be working hard in polishing his memorising skills but universities do not want his memory, (those universities have several TBs of hard disk installed in their computers) they want intelligence and creativity, the qualities only a human being can possess. These students think they can pass these exams by buying multiple expensive and thick entrance test preparatory books and taking special classes but after the test is done, they realise that it was all for nothing. I know a girl who even repeated a year and still couldn’t get over 92 in NET due to this mindset.


What is the significance of "Studying smarter not harder”?

To be honest, I wasn’t a very hard worker at school or college. I could never bring myself to memorise lengthy extravagant topics. I always thought that why do I need to memorise this. I understood it and I can now write what I do understand in my own words but why do I have to memorise what other people have written. I am not the hard-disk type of a person, I’m the CPU type. I remember I used to waste so much time when I could have been studying. I only became serious in the last few months of FSc. You don’t really need to stay up till 4 A.M reading books for entrance exams as long as you have the knowledge of solving problems and have the necessary concepts


How can a student prepare for entrance exams besides going on with F.Sc?

Besides going on with F.Sc, I would advise the students to think of ways to apply what they learn to daily life where possible and where it isn’t, try doing internet searches on the topic, don’t ever think that you know enough about that topic, you never know enough. If you have friends studying in other boards or in O/A- level, try reading what their books have to say, I personally have found this very useful. In my opinion, group study should be avoided unless your friends are also as serious as you are. You shouldn’t be disturbed when focusing. Try to find a quiet room and always take short breaks after finishing a few topics. Don’t overdo yourselves. Learn time-management and never trust anybody else to teach you something that you couldn’t understand (my own personal experience).

 “You shape your own destiny; your destiny doesn’t shape you”

1 comment: